News > Offshore wind hits record year in 2019 up 35% says GWEC...

Print Friendly and PDF

Offshore wind hits record year in 2019 up 35% says GWEC

(20 Mar 2020)

According to the most recent data from the Global Wind Energy Council (GWEC), 6.1GW of offshore wind capacity was added to the mix in 2019, a record year for the industry and an impressive 35.5% increase over the previous year, during which 4.5GW of capacity was installed.

The total installed capacity for offshore wind stands at 29GW.

GWEC says its preliminary forecasts show that as much as 50GW of offshore wind capacity could be installed globally by 2024, which would bring the total installed capacity to almost 90GW, an increase of more than 200% from today.

Europe remained the largest market for offshore wind, accounting for 59% of new installations in 2019, while the Asia-Pacific region accounted for the remaining 41%.

China remains the overall leader in new installations for offshore wind, adding more than 2.3 GW capacity in 2019, with the UK and Germany in second and third place, installing 1.8 GW and 1.1 GW respectively.

In all, eight markets reported new offshore wind installations in 2019:

  • China – 2395 MW
  • United Kingdom – 1764 MW
  • Germany – 1111 MW
  • Denmark – 374 MW
  • Belgium – 370 MW
  • Taiwan – 120 MW
  • Portugal – 8 MW (floating)
  • Japan – 3 MW (floating)

Ben Backwell, CEO of GWEC said that offshore wind now makes up 10% of total wind energy installations.

“While mature markets in Europe continue to account for the majority of these installations, Asia Pacific is now increasingly contributing to this growth, with China leading the way as the global offshore wind leader in new capacity,” he said.

“It is also exciting to see floating wind capacity being installed in 2019, as once this technology reaches industrial scale, it will open up whole new markets and opportunities for offshore wind,” he added.

Source

News Source : Other

Share